Position: Referrals Clerk
Reports to: Manager, Territorial Operations
Reporting to Manager of Territorial Operations, the Referrals Clerk is responsible for providing a variety of administrative and technical services related to lands and natural resources. The ideal candidate for this challenging position will possess excellent organization and communication skills, an aptitude for computer operations including: word processing, mapping, file management, and a demonstrated desire to learn. This job will involve on-the-job training on mapping, digital file management, referral processing, and research related to Shuswap Indian Band’s Territorial Operations department.
- Receives, records, and processes referrals addressed to the Shuswap Indian Band (SIB).
- Conducts preliminary assessment of referrals to understand scope of potential impacts to SIB rights and title interests and provides recommendations to the appropriate departments.
- Assists the Shuswap Indian Band with referral responses by soliciting input from Chief and Council, the Director of Operations, and department managers, and the Community.
- Processes SIB traditional knowledge information from multimedia formats and imports into the database.
- Manages and updates the database.
- Provides authorized reports and lists to designated staff and departments as directed by the Manager of Territorial Operations.
- Manages mobile mapping software, hardware, and data for field work applications (download, save, and projecting on maps).
- Attends departmental, organization and community meetings.
- Performs general administrative and clerical tasks such as answering phones, faxing, mailing, and filing, photocopying, scanning, and typing.
- Provides general administrative support to the Territorial Operations Department including invoicing.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the SIB policies, standards, and procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality on all matters relating to the affairs of the SIB.
- Performs other related duties as requested by the Manager, Territorial Operations and the Director of Operations.
- A High-school diploma.
- Ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Google Earth.
- Post-secondary training in a diploma program or undergraduate degree in a related field such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Aboriginal Studies, Natural Resources, Environmental management, or related field is an asset.
- A valid B.C. driver’s license and a reliable vehicle.
- Must pass a criminal record check.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience specific to First Nations and British Columbia.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and experience with traditional knowledge mapping and information management.
- Basic understanding of provincial and federal regulatory processes related to resource management and the crown consultation process.
- Experience with First Nation referrals and the BC referrals process.
- Ability to identify opportunities for SIB when reviewing referrals.
- Experience with web-based database applications and data entry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and filing skills.
- Proven ability to execute advanced office procedures and practices.
- Ability to take initiative and work within strict timelines.
- Tactful and diplomatic.
- Must have strong teamwork and cooperation, service orientation and problem solving and judgement skills.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural settings.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Full-time position.
- Must adhere to the Shuswap Indian Band Human Resources Policy and Procedure Manual (Approved April 4, 2018).
- Must adhere to the Shuswap Indian Band Financial Polices and Procedures (Approved October 24, 2017)
This posting may remain open until the position is filled. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Preference will be given to persons of Aboriginal ancestry as per Section 16 (1) of the Canadian Human Rights Act. Appointment to this position will require a formal criminal record check, the details of which may preclude an offer of employment being finalized.
CLOSING DATE: 4:00pm February 21st, 2020
TO APPLY: Submit a resume and cover letter to:
Angela Sarsons, Director of Operations, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shuswap Indian Band, RR#2, 3A – 492 Arrow Road, Invermere, BC, V0A 1K2 Or Fax: 250.341.3683