Position: Executive Assistant/Bookkeeper
Shuswap Indian Band, located in Invermere, BC, is seeking a highly organized individual to serve as our Executive Assistant/Bookkeeper for our Territorial Stewardship Department
The successful candidate will have experience in an Executive Assistant/bookkeeping role and will show initiative to enhance processes and procedures. The Executive Assistant/Book-keeper provides administrative support and general bookkeeping to the Territorial Operations department and will work in coordination with the Office Assistant.
- Interacts with other Territorial Operations and Band Operations staff and consultants with respect to administration issues.
- Processes employee travel advance forms, expense reports, including verification of receipts and coding and uploads to EASE portal.
- Identifies accounting issues and works with Finance Department to resolve.
- Processes financial invoices and uploads to the EASE portal.
- Prepares letters, memos, briefing notes and other correspondence.
- Manages electronic and physical filing systems.
- Coordinates IT support as required.
- Maintains organizational calendars, electronic in/out board.
- Reviews and prepares invoices, time sheets, travel claims and travel bookings, honoraria requests, budgets, and financial reports.
- Organizes logistics for field projects, including but not limited to purchase of field equipment, organizing training, mobilization/ demobilization, etc.
- Oversees building maintenance activities and building security; and
- Attends internal meetings, including training sessions and provide briefing on these to the Manager, Territorial Operations.
- Supports the development of annual workplans for advancing strategic objectives.
- Attends general staff, department and band meetings.
- Performs other related duties as requested by the Manager, Territorial Operations and the Director of Operations
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent.
- Fives years of related experience in an administrative/finance role.
- Demonstrated knowledge of office and accounting procedures.
- Working knowledge of Secwepemc Nation governmental organizational structures and functions.
- Working knowledge of Shuswap Indian Band community, culture and Secwepemc values.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong understanding of full Accounting principles and cycle from receipt of invoices to payment; including verification of coding, matching purchase orders, obtaining approval, and entering the invoices into the purchasing & accounting systems.
- Excellent communication skills (including technical writing).
- Understand general practice of maintaining confidentiality.
- Works as a team member with other Band employees; and
- Ability to work effectively with community members, band staff and technical personnel from government agencies and the corporate sector.
- Proficiency in MS Office software, accounting software, social media.
Terms & Conditions:
- Full-time position
- Hours of work 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday (half-hour unpaid lunch)
- Acceptable and current RCMP Criminal Record Check (original)
- Maintain a valid BC driver’s license and access to a personal vehicle
- Must adhere to the Shuswap Indian Band Human Resources Policy and Procedure Manual (Approved April 4, 2018).
- Must adhere to the Shuswap Indian Band Financial policies and procedures (October 24, 2017).
This posting may remain open until the position is filled. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Preference will be given to persons of Aboriginal ancestry as per Section 16 (1) of the Canadian Human Rights Act. Appointment to this position will require a formal criminal record check, the details of which may preclude an offer of employment being finalized.
CLOSING DATE: March 30th, 2020, 4:00pm (Mountain Time)
Submit a resume and cover letter to:
Angela Sarsons, Director of Operations, E-mail: email@example.com
Shuswap Indian Band, RR#2, 3A – 492 Arrow Road, Invermere, BC, V0A 1K2 Or Fax: 250.341.3683